Can a Green Card Holder File for their Spouse and Children?



Hi, my name is Ifeoma Odunlami. I am an immigration attorney with Odunlami Law Firm, where we fight for fellow immigrants and their American dream. My law firm is in New Jersey, but we serve clients from all 50 states of the United States.

So today I want to talk about a frequently asked question and that question is whether a green card holder can file for their spouse and their children? And the answer to that is yes. There are two categories in which a green card holder can file for their spouse and their children.

The first category is the F2A and that’s where the green card holder can file for their spouse and children under the age of 21. The F2B is a green card holder filing for children above the age of 21 and the good news for people in the F2A category is that your priority date is current, so that means that you can go ahead. You don’t have to wait to file your petition from when you start, to when you get the green card

Now for beneficiaries who are inside the United States. You have to be in valid legal status to be able to adjust your status, which means that for your green card holder, a family member to be able to file for you and for you to be able to get your green card without leaving the United States, you have to be in a valid legal status and if you’re not, it has to take place by way of consular processing, which means that you have to leave and go to your country and the process continues from there.

So, if you or anyone you know is looking to file for their family member, feel free to call my office 973-993-1900. Again the number is 973-993-1900. Thank you.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Are you looking for immigration services or more information regarding your fiancé visa or marriage-based green card? We can help.

Contact the Odunlami Law Firm at 973-993-1900 or email us

If you need an employment visa, wish to immigrate, or want to help bring a family member to the United States, the Odunlami Law Firm can help. If you are facing deportation or removal for any reason, you need our help. You may contact the law office for more information or to schedule an appointment.

Areas of Immigration Law:

  • Naturalization (Citizenship) Application

  • Immigrant Relative Petitions

  • Fiancé Visa Applications

  • Adjustment of Status and Consular Processing

  • Criminal Consequences and Deportation Defense

  • Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Application

  • Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

  • Green Card Renewals

  • Temporary Work Visas

  • Temporary Protected Status

  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals

  • Waivers


Schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney and get your case started today.
Scroll to Top
Skip to content