Frequent questions

Consult the most frequently asked questions on legal matters

The immigration process in the United States is extremely difficult. The only thing that is more difficult than the immigration process is the United States tax code. Because the immigration process is so complex, it is best to speak to an immigration attorney that will help guide you through the entire process to avoid delays and pitfalls.

There are two types of green cards; one is called a Conditional Permanent Resident Card, which lasts for two years, and the other is the ten-year green card which is the permanent resident green card. Both expire. The two-year green card is a conditional green card, and the conditions need to be removed before a ten-year green card is issued. Ten-year green cards need to be renewed if the immigrant does not naturalize.

VAWA, or the Violence Against Women Act, offers protections and allows victims of domestic violence or spousal abuse to “self-petition” to obtain a green card without the cooperation of the U.S. citizen or permanent resident relative who is abusing them.  

VAWA stands for Violence Against Women Act, initially created in 1994 to end violence against women. However, today, women, men, children, parents, and the LGTBQ+ community can file a VAWA self-petition if they meet the requirements.

Your application could be denied simply because you filed the incorrect paperwork, left something incomplete, or filed your paperwork without the proper evidentiary documentation. If this happened to you, it is best to speak with an immigration attorney to see if your case may be reopened.

A Fiancé Visa or K-1 Visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows the engaged partner to enter the United States. Upon entering the United States, the engaged couple must get married within 90 days. After the couple is married, the immigrant or non-citizen partner of the couple may apply for a green card by filing an adjustment of status petition.  A marriage-based green card is an application for an immigrant visa that is started by filing form I-130. This can be done through consular process for a non-citizen who resides outside the US or by adjustment of status for a qualified non-citizen who resides in the US.  Unlike the Fiancé visa, the approval of the marriage based petition gives the non-citizen a green card upon arrival to the United States.

You can file waivers to self-petition without your spouse for your green card. You have to fall into one of the four main categories: death of your spouse, divorce, physical or emotional abuse, or extreme hardship.

The U Visa or U nonimmigrant status is specifically for victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse. These crimes include domestic violence, felony assault, sexual assault, trafficking, and kidnapping. In addition, these victims are helpful to either law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity.

An immigration waiver is a "pardon" for a specific immigration violation that makes the non-citizen inadmissible.  An immigration attorney can help you with prepare a waiver. 

Yes, we do. We work with clients in all 50 states. We even represent clients aboard.

Each immigration-related matter we handle requires a different fee. Therefore, during our consultation and after analyzing your case, we will provide you with a price quote for the immigration relief being sought. Don't hesitate to contact our office or schedule an appointment online.

There are many ways to get a green card, and the timeline for each pathway is different. Depending on the application, the green card process can last as little as five months or over two years.

Schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney
and get your case started today.
Scroll to Top
Skip to content